Wednesday, November 4, 2015

October 2015 In Our Home

One aspect of where we live that
 I love is how beautiful it is in the fall!
     One of the best things that has happened this past month has been watching Tennyson's continued language development. It's incredible how quickly his vocabulary is expanding! Even if he can't quite articulate an idea, his comprehension is evident. He's become a keen observer of spoken words and is eager to practice the sounds. He readily names objects. It's so neat to watch him work with language!

Enjoying the exploration bin that went
 with the "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" tot
 school unit
       It's also great to have greater communication between us. He's suddenly begun telling us "pee pee diaper." This has taken us completely by surprise as we weren't anticipating him making that connection so soon. So, what's a parent to do but go buy the boy a little potty of his own! I also checked out every potty story book in the public library. We're still not making a big effort to fully potty train him at this point. We'll just allow him to sit on the potty as needed, read lots of potty story books, and allow him to make the transition as he is ready. 

         Another great moment of the past month as been the sweet relationship that continues to flourish between Tennyson and Annelise. These two are so connected. It's incredible. The first thing he says in the morning is "sister." He will bring toys for her to play with, or bring his toys to her and play beside her. If she's upset, he'll go to her and try to put her pacifier (we call it the "stopper" haha) in her mouth. If she's out of sight, then he'll repeatedly say "sister" with great concern and you can't distract or reassure him enough. He loves to be with her. She loves his presence as well. She will watch him where ever he goes, and give him big grins. These two are best friends already, and that is such a joy to my Mama heart. 
Playtime with Daddy is the best!
         The month has also has had it's challenges. We continue to struggle with sleep with Annelise. We thought Tennyson was a poor sleeper as an infant, but his record has been surpassed. We've had days in which she barely sleeps at night and during the day for multiple nights/days. The result is all of us (minus Tennyson who is now at a point of being able to sleep through anything- praise the Lord) have been extremely sleep deprived and had ugly dispositions. We've gone through a list of variables, even with our pediatrician, and can't determine what the issue is or how to resolve it. We seem to cycle through weeks of rest and restlessness beyond normal baby behavior. It's exhausting. It's trying. And discouragingly enough, it's familiar. I'm trying to remind myself that "this too shall pass." Tennyson was a fitful sleeper his first year, but is fantastic now. She will eventually come to a point of greater rest as well. 
We went out for some frozen yogurt to
have some Mama and Tennyson one-on-one
 time.  He took two bites!  It's hard to treat
 a little guy that doesn't care for sweets! 
        In the meanwhile, I'm trying to push on in doing little things to improve our days. I still try to have a "tot school" activity time with Tennyson, though we've skipped quite a few this month. I know the time is good for him in terms of being productively occupied and potentially learning through play. It's also good one-on-one time for he and I, which is something we both really need. 

        I'm also trying my best to take better care of myself through reading or other enjoyable activities, exercise and healthy eating. I'll admit, that I completely fail on that last one. I love sweets! I've also enjoyed using more convenience foods and less homemade than ever before as my time and energy has been directed to calming an overtired baby and being overtired myself. There is grace for the moment. One positive move towards caring for my physical self has been incorporating more exercise. I'm loving using apps on my phone that provide exercises that can be completed in less than ten minutes. I hate exercise, but I can do ten minutes! My favorite has been a beginner yoga app. I've been more consistent with this one than anything else (but even then, I complete it only twice a week at most). I'd like to complete it more often if possible next month. 

She wasn't a fan of wearing a hat...until
 the cold hit her! I think she looks
 like a little cabbage patch kid in it!
      Lastly, my book selection this month was A Confident Heart by Renee Swope. It's been a great read, and one I'll likely keep on my bookshelf. I'd rate it a 4 out of 5. I've been trying to snag a few minutes each morning to read. I try to read ten pages of a book of interest and then a chapter in the Bible. It's a slow progress, but I'm grateful for being able to incorporate it in my life at all. I love the encouragement and wisdom gained from books!

     God has really called me and drawn me closer to Him this month. Through my struggles, he's picked me up and given me strength and wisdom to carry on. He's renewed in my heart my role in being a teacher to these little ones. How I live will either demonstrate or detract from faith in Him. My children will have many influences, but none so impressionable as their home and family. I pray that through the fog and tension of exhaustion and mess, they see me constantly seeking Him and relying on Him for all things. Honestly, many days I don't even see this in me. Yet, He is merciful. God loves me and continues to teach me His ways despite my sin. Every relationship needs time to connect, and as such there is a great need for time spent reading the Bible and in prayer. John 15:4 says, "Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself, it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me." 
He is always full of joy! A great lesson
  he is teaching me.

     Some days, I feel like I have got a handle on this parenting and homemaking role, but other days I feel like a total flop. It can be so easy to fixate on the struggles. But as I look through photos to include in this post, I'm reminded of the many, many sweet moments. Ah, this was a good month. :)
         










1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet post from the heart. I too struggle sometimes with being joyful, especially when the afternoon exhaustion hits. Sadly that's right when my husband comes home. You are so right: seeking the Lord is a journey! You are a great mama and here's praying you get some sleep soon! It's so tough when little ones won't sleep

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...