Monday, June 22, 2015

Preparing for and Establishing the Homemaking Day: Part 2



Image used with permission per CC license Attribution. No changes made. Copyright by Alex (aka "eflon")
~Read Part 1~

     Rising early and starting the day on time supports my personal definition of “homemaking:”

"Homemaking is the art and science of creating and maintaining the home to be a pleasant and productive environment for the glory of God."


I've highlighted three key components in this definition: productive, pleasant and for the glory of God. Consider for a moment how productivity in the morning sets the pace for the day. Or, how the tone of the day is set from a pleasant start. Last, the purpose is always ultimately for the glory of God. We embody these characteristics when we rise early and work to prepare ourselves and our home for the day ahead. When I start behind in the day, I typically remain behind and cope by being moody and reactive to the day’s tasks and challenges. However, being proactive in my preparations and productivity allows our home and family to be pleasant places. Pleasantry isn’t going to happen just by having a well-executed “to do list” though. We must also have purpose. Why are you doing the things you’re doing? My heart is for my family to enjoy being together and for home to be a delightful haven. God has entrusted us to care for the homes and families he’s given us. It is within which and from which we serve and glorify Him.

     If you’re not a morning person or have not yet determined your start time to your homemaking day, then the following steps towards that goal may help:
 
1.    Determine necessary morning tasks and the amount of time to needed to complete them. If necessary, time yourself. You may find that you need less time than you thought for your shower, or more time than anticipated to fix your hair and make-up. Be sure to limit your activities in the mornings to those that are pertinent. I used to be so rushed and late in the mornings, and then I realized that I was trying to cram way too much into that single time of the day. We’ll discuss later how to organize the day so that there is an appropriate time for all tasks each day. 
 
2.    Determine a set start time. For me, I set my start time as the time that my child wakes. This is the time I need to shift my attention and energy from myself to him and our day together.

3.    Work backwards to determine your ideal wake time. If your morning tasks take an hour, then you’ll want to wake at least an hour to an hour and a half earlier. For instance, my start time is 8am and so I’m usually up and going by 6:30am. Don’t forget to build in a little extra time for the occasional 10 minute snooze or unanticipated hiccup in the morning!

4.    If waking up is difficult, then start small. Set your alarm for just 10-15 minutes earlier than you normally get up. Once you’ve grown accustomed to that wake time, set it 10-15 minutes earlier than that. Eventually, you’ll work your way up to your ideal wake time. If getting going in the mornings is a struggle, then ease into the change. 

 
My Morning Routine:




Time


Activity


6:30-8:00 a.m.


·         Shower

·         Dress

·         Make bed up

·         Carry dirty laundry downstairs to laundry room

·         Put away clean dishes

·         Make-up

·         Fix hair

·         Personal devo. and/or read

·         Prepare breakfast


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...