Monday, April 27, 2015

Recent Reads: #2

    Throughout the week, I'll come across articles online that will serve as an encouragement to me. I thought I might begin saving them in a weekly post so that I could reread them when a reminder is necessary. I also thought some of them may be of an encouragement to anyone who reads this blog. If so, enjoy! :)

A Three Letter Word for More Joyful Parenting
      A powerful difference exists between thinking or saying "I have to" and "I get to." It's truly remarkable the positive impact this simple change of word choice has on parenting. "I have to" implies drudgery, whereas "I get to" implies privilege. While there are many tasks that have to be completed in a day's work of caring for child(ren) and the home, those duties are ultimately a privilege. It is a privilege that I am able to be home with my child(ren) and invest myself in him (soon to be them) like I currently do. I don't "have to" live out this mama-life like I do; I get to. Thank you, Lord, for that!


Why Pursue Domestic Excellence?
       An excellent motivation piece on why a pursuit of excellence within the home and/or family is a worthy endeavor. I really liked how the writer included the following:
Let's make a conscious decision right here and now to stop what my mom calls "Stinkin' Thinkin'." This includes, but isn't limited to:
  • Comparing our weaknesses to someone else's strengths
  • Downplaying our accomplishments 
  • Giving up when we have a set-back
  • Scoffing at apparent excellence/perfection as fake or unattainable

Now that those are gone from our psyche, replace them with "Positive Perceptions."
  • Using mistakes as springboards for growth
  • Sharing our skills and talents freely and unabashedly
  • Seeking out excellence to emulate
  • Focusing on what is important to us as individuals
- See more at: http://somuchtomake.blogspot.com/2015/01/why-pursue-domestic-excellence.html#sthash.GDzEffw7.dpuf
       All together, a wonderful article that I feel needs to be read, reread and shared frequently!

The Blessing of Children: Part 1- A God-Sized Vision of Motherhood
      I always find the writing to Leslie Ludy to be superb. The pieces provide such encouragement to me personally and as a mama. In this particular piece, she begins by describing the often negative portrayal of motherhood and the impact it has on one's decision to have children or delay. She then provides several Biblical truths regarding children. Finally, she provides encouragement and suggestions for how to overcome feeling defeated and be a joyful mama. I particular enjoyed when she said:
He is ready and able to give me every bit of grace and strength I need to experience victory instead of defeat, and joy instead of chaos.

This doesn’t mean there will never be moments or even seasons when things feel chaotic and out of control. And it doesn’t mean there won’t be times when the house looks like a hurricane hit it. But rather than resigning myself to an attitude of defeat and a lifestyle of chaos, I’ve chosen to keep my eyes upon the promises of God and pursue something better for my motherhood, by His grace. When chaotic moments come, the way I choose to respond makes the difference between motherhood victory and motherhood defeat.

- See more at: https://www.setapartmotherhood.com/magazine/christ-centered-mothering/1

       The above two articles are similar in subject matter. I have been so dismayed by so much negative and defeatist talk of motherhood by mamas, as well as scoffing at the ideals of or individuals in pursuit of excellence in motherhood. Yes, there are challenges and set backs in parenting. However, motherhood and children are so precious, and absolutely worthy of the pursuit of excellence. I strongly believe that this role and children are blessings in life, not burdens. I pray the conversation will turn towards this perspective. We can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...