Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A New Way to Read

      I have a bit of a weak spot for books. I really enjoy the growth potential that resides between the pages. With a little one, however, I rarely find the opportunity to just sit and read a book. Presently, a book may take me months to finish as I typically achieve only a few pages a day. Life is busy as a Mama!

     I've consequently turned to a new way to "read"- with my ears. Audio books are a perfect solution to reading in this current season of life. I frequently will turn on some music or something else for us to listen to during the day so why not a book? Audiobooks have also been wonderful travel companions on our weekly trips to my appointments (1 hr. drive each week provides ample opportunity for progress through a book on cd).

     Of course, I miss having a hands-on copy of the books. I'm the kind of reader that loves to take her time through a physical book highlighting, underlining, and writing comments in the margins. Later, I can flip through the pages easily to find a passage. (Thus, I've never converted to eReaders). I also prefer physical books for financial reasons. I typically purchase used books when they're $0.01 (+$3.99 shipping) on Amazon. Even used audiobooks (on cd) are more expensive. (I'm not sure if there is another resource for used audiobook cds or not).

     Despite a few drawbacks, though, I've been thoroughly enjoying finally getting to partake of the content of books that have been sitting on my bookshelf. For instance, this past month I've been listening to Sacred Marriage: What if God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than Make Us Happy by Gary Thomas. This book is phenomenal, and has really transformed my perspective and approach to marriage. Had it not been for listening to it each week during our doctor office trips, then it would probably still be sitting on the shelf waiting to be read. Up next will be, Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions by Lysa TerKeurst. I'm eager to begin this book (because sometimes you need a little insight into gaining greater emotional self-control).

     I don't intent to rely on audiobooks long term. Soon, Tennyson will drop his morning nap and Annelise will be taking hers. During that time, he and I will be able to have our focused playtime together, and then he will have quiet (independent) play in the pack n' play while I read. I feel he witnessing me reading will encourage a love of reading in his own life. We're not quite to that point yet, and so until then I'll continue to enjoy "reading" with my ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...