Monday, December 29, 2014

Resolutions for 2015

    In only a couple of days we'll say "goodbye" to one year and "hello" to the next. This time of year is always a time of reflection for me. Often, I think of the moments from which I have learned lessons and grown. I also think of the many good moments that occurred. Reflection isn't limited to the past, though. It's a great tool when considering the upcoming year and the potential that lies within. Who do I want to be? How will I work towards that growth?

     Each year, I create an excessive amount of resolutions for the new year. I'm a type-a, goal-oriented, and planner type of person and so this action is very natural for me. However, it isn't long into the year that I begin to feel disappointed that so many goals or resolutions have gone and continue to go unmet. This year I want to keep things simple. In no particular order:

1) 52 Week Savings Plan
    This is a very popular plan on Pinterest, and for good reason. It's brilliant! I'll do the version in which I'll start with 52 and then go down to 0. The purpose will be to create some seed money for David's dream business. It may still be many years until that dream comes to full fruition, but at least we'll have a start and will keep it alive.

2) 52 Projects
      While cleaning and organizing our home in preparation for a second baby, I realized that I have an extraordinary amount of unfinished projects. I've saved quite a few materials and ideas for "one day." Once I gathered everything together, I was amazed at how many there were and how much space was being wasted by simply storing them. I hope to complete one unfinished project each week. Though, some project weeks will be simply selling the finished item online. It still counts!

3) 52 Week Bible Reading in Chronological Order
        This resolution is all about the "who I want to be and how that growth will occur" reflections. As Tennyson grows older, I'm more aware of my role to teach him about God and faith. However, without having intimate knowledge of the Word itself I find myself having trouble relaying it further. More than just my words, though, my heart needs to reflect the message. The greatest influence I possess on others is in what I do, not what I say. My "doing" needs to be more reflective Christ. It needs to encompass the fullness of love that the Bible teaches. This is my heart- to be more like Him.

4) Proactive vs. Reactive In My Days
       Many days it feels as though time just slips away without me having a moment to clean, properly take care of myself or just have fun playing with Tennyson. I've written out all necessary tasks in the day and the time it takes to complete them, and arranged it all in a lovely daily schedule/routine. I even periodically update it to keep up with Tennyson's development and activity level. Yet, I still seem to be maintaining a steady state of "no time." The issue isn't time, but my use of time. I tend to be very casual with my time in the day. Nap times have easily become moments for personal enjoyment and relaxation, which doesn't help progress my day in a desired manner. These habits are highly unproductive and leave me being reactive instead of proactive. This next year will bring about even more demand on me and my time in caring for a second young child. Conducting myself proactivity through the diligent use of a daily schedule and cleaning routine is vital.

    There are many, many more goals I could add to this list. These areas, however, stand out the most to me and therefore are the ones that I will try to keep my focus on in the upcoming year. I think the greatest means of accomplishment may be through accountability. So, each month I may do a resolutions update post. :)

2 comments:

  1. Just a few goals that will make a huge difference in your life. Will you be giving progress reports?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I hope to do a resolutions update post each month. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...