Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Kids Christmas Activity- Handprint Ornament

(I have his age painted on the back)
                              
    I have a handprint made with paint that I did with Tennyson when he was six months old. It's so sweet to look at it and see how small that little hand was and how much he's grown since then. I really enjoy having these little reminders of this moment in life with him.


 This one broke when
 I tried to move it.
      So, one of my Christmas activities with him this year was to make an ornament with his little handprint. I used a salt dough recipe, which was really easy to use. He was a little hesitant at first, but then really enjoyed getting his hands in the dough. So much so that it took quite a few tries to get a good handprint because he kept wanting to just play with it! Once it was fully dried, I chose to paint around the handprint to make it more visible, followed by a coat of clear protectant. Then, simply string a ribbon through the top and hang on the tree! I think the final result is so sweet. I'm really going to enjoy getting these ornaments out each year!
 
Tips: 1) Roll dough out and form on a moveable surface like wax paper, aluminum foil or silicone mat. Don't do as I did initially and make it directly on the table. These need to not be moved until fully dry (about a week), and so the table surface wasn't the best idea. Our first handprint ornament broke when I tried to move it.
 


He enjoyed squishing his hand and fingers into the dough!


1 comment:

  1. That's precious! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ~~Sarah in GA~~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...