Monday, December 22, 2014

Baby 2 Pregnancy Journal: 16 Weeks!



This baby deep inside of me, ever so small, is a child of God. A child that God gave to me to take care of whether for a day or for years. That care began at conception. Whether he or she lives or dies each day I am with him or her is a gift and has a purpose with eternal consequences. My baby is now a part of my life, my testimony. -Brenda Rodgers, "New Rules for Announcing a Pregnancy"


How far along: 16 weeks!

"The bones that are now in place in his ears means he can probably hear your voice. ... thanks to his developing facial muscles, your baby is capable of making a few expressive frowns and squints, even at this early stage. ... And his eyes are finally working, making small side-to-side movements and perceiving light (although the eyelids are still sealed)." -What to Expect When You're Expecting, 4th Edition

Baby size:  "three to five ounces, and he's four to five inches in length" -What to Expect When You're Expecting, 4th Edition


Gender: We'll find out on Jan. 7th! (I decided that there was no way I was going to be caught unprepared again, and that includes knowing the gender for clothing (preemie clothing doesn't come gender neutral)). I think the baby is a girl (Annelise Michelle). David thinks it is a boy (Huxley Nathaniel). We shall see!
 
 Weight gain: No new number. I just wait to weigh at my appointments. So, I'll have a new number in a few weeks.
 
Belly: Baby belly is growing! It seems like it just popped out one night. haha. It's definitely becoming more noticeable. I love it!
 
    I have also been able to feel on the outside precisely where this baby is, which is exciting. I recall with Tennyson being able to be keenly aware of his position from a rather early point in the pregnancy. There is one advantage to being on the thinner side. Of course, the big disadvantage is that there isn't much of a padding layer between the baby and the outside, and so if I bump into something (or have an active 11 month old in my arms or lap), I'm very much aware of it. I usually remain a little extra careful. It is pretty neat getting to see and feel where he/she is though.

 Sleep: We've entered the "can't get comfortable" and "ache all the time" territory of pregnancy sleep. But fortunately, my body pillow helps a lot. 
 
Symptoms: I'm still doing pretty good as far as not losing my innerds this time around! Whoo hoo! This is definitely a relief compared to the severity of my first pregnancy.
      The only new symptom is the aches and pains I mentioned earlier. I'm definitely feeling some of those growing pains. (Grow baby, grow!)

 Clothes: I received my order from ThredUp! I over-ordered to account for how fit is influenced by different styles and brands. Out of eight pairs of pants, I ended up with 2ish pairs (the third pair was a little tighter than I'm used to, but I will probably still wear them around the house just for a change). Fortunately, I didn't have to pay shipping initially and so I only have to pay it to send the unwanted items back for a return. I'm pretty excited to have at least two pairs of really nice fitting  (Gap Maternity) pants for only $40! Hello, comfort!
 
I still have to find some more camisoles to layer under several of my maternity tops that are a little too low cut for comfort. I think I found some at Khols that I'll be able to modify to accommodate nursing needs as well (they're also really affordable). Just have to brave the holiday mess to get them. yikes. haha. But after that, I should be pretty set! :)
 
Movement: My movement is slowing a bit. Some days the aches and exhaustion is a little hard to get through, but I press on. Also, with the baby being so easy to feel externally, even bending over sends a reminder of his/her presence. All bending is now done at the knees. haha.

Baby Movement: I can definitely feel his/her movements. Currently, it feels like he/she does flips or swims laps in there. It's enough movement that I'll pause for a bit until he/she settles down again. hah. I'm still looking forward to that first kick! Ah, I just love it!    

 Food aversions: Not sure. I still don't have as strong of a preference for meat and heavy meals, but that's pretty typical even when not pregnant.
 
Food cravings: I still love sweets far more than I should. (girl, girl, girl! ;) )

What I miss: Really good rest. I think I've forgotten what it's like to feel rested. Ah, the glorious life of a Mama. It's hard, but I love it.
 
Cuddling with Tennyson is getting a little more complicated. He, of course, doesn't really understand to not climb across Mama's belly. We still have lots of hugs and quality time though. He's too busy climbing, standing and cruising anyways!

What I'm excited about: I'm just thrilled beyond words for this little one. It was pretty exciting to realize where he/she is in my belly recently. Ah, he/she is getting so big! I'm so grateful for him/her!
 
     Christmas has arrived at our home! In an effort to not overwhelm Tennyson, who is only 11 months old, we decided to allow him to open one family's gift each night and then split our gifts to him between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (that's 7 nights of opening gifts. I've got our toy rotation bin ready to go!). It's been fun watching him rip the paper and play with his new toys. Next year we'll have two little ones to share the Christmas experience!

      Tennyson's birthday is also coming up (quickly!). I finished the invitations and hope to get the rest out today. I'm excited to see that we'll have several from our current church joining us to celebrate him! I'm eager to begin working on the details of his birthday party. I plan to have it be a celebration, but certainly modest. Should be fun!

 
What I'm nervous about:  I have to begin weekly shots tomorrow. I received the medication and the supplies last week. David warned me not to look at the needle, but I did. And then I cried. I didn't even know a needle could be made so large and it still be considered just a shot. The medicine is also thick which means it will burn oh so much. Good golly, the next 20 weeks of that should be "fun!" (sarcasm).
     Of course, I'm also conscientious of the fact that the baby receives all medication and interventions required. It's something that weighs heavy on my heart. I'll admit that I did have a moment of weepy self-pity. Oh, how badly I wish I was "normal" and not defective. I wish whole-heartedly that I didn't have to go through so much to have a child or that the child didn't have to receive all the interventions as well. How I long for that natural, normal pregnancy and birth instead of my high-risk and high intervention version. I realize this is all self-pity though and that will get me no where. I must accept what is and be grateful for even being able to have children. The fact is that very few with this condition are able to carry a baby at all. I have one healthy child and another on the way, and I am so grateful for them. I have to remind myself to have faith and trust. My struggles to have children renews in my heart just how precious this gift is and how little I wish to take it for granted. Despite all we must endure, I'm forever grateful for these little lives.

3 comments:

  1. Whitney, you look lovely and so happy! I will be praying for you and thinking of you tomorrow as you get your first injection. Do you have to give it to yourself? I hope not. Just try to relax as much as possible and, if you can help it, don't look at the needle!

    I had to get my blood drawn frequently and get 2 steroid injections during my 3rd trimester (due to preeclampsia concerns) and I know that it is no fun getting poked so often. I know that you are going through so much more, but you are a trooper and you can do this! :-)

    I hope you have a good evening.

    ~~Sarah in GA~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No, I have to drive to my Dr.'s office every week for them to administer it. David's coming with me for the first one so that I know if there would be any side effect that would render driving (especially with Tennyson in the back) unsafe. Hopefully, it will go okay and Tennyson and I will be able to manage going together in the future.

      Unfortunately, it's only one of several interventions that I'll receive. We know that a premature delivery is inevitable, and so the goal is to extend that time as much as possible. We also hope to prevent as much growth restriction as possible. My MFM has quite the lengthy plan for those goals. I hope it works! I'm preparing for another preemie, but, oh my, skipping the NICU heartache would be a dream.

      Thank you so much for the encouragement. Honestly, I need every ounce I can get! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Whitney. I'm sorry, I remember now that you said in another post that you would have to drive to the doctor to get the shots. That's good that your husband will be with you for that first shot. I am praying that it all goes well.

      You, along with your husband and doctor, are doing everything you can to make sure that your baby has the best opportunity to continue to develop and grow. It must be nerve-wracking at times, but God is with you and will see you through. You are in my continued prayers.

      ~~Sarah in GA~~


      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...