Friday, November 14, 2014

Baby 2 Pregnancy Journal: 10 Weeks!

This baby deep inside of me, ever so small, is a child of God. A child that God gave to me to take care of whether for a day or for years. That care began at conception. Whether he or she lives or dies each day I am with him or her is a gift and has a purpose with eternal consequences. My baby is now a part of my life, my testimony. -Brenda Rodgers, "New Rules for Announcing a Pregnancy"
 
How far along: 10 weeks!

"bones and cartilage are forming -- and small indentations on the legs are developing into knees and ankles. ...the  elbows on baby's arms are already working. Tiny buds of baby teeth are forming under the gums. Further down, the stomach is producing digestive juices, the kidneys are producing larger quantities of urine, and, if your baby's a boy {he is} producing testosterone."-What to Expect When You're Expecting, 4th Edition

Baby size:  "nearly 1 1/2 inches long (about the size of a prune)" -What to Expect When You're Expecting, 4th Edition

Gender: We'll find out in January! (I decided that there was no way I was going to be caught unprepared again, and that includes knowing the gender for clothing (preemie clothing doesn't come gender neutral)).

Weight gain: 1-2lbs gain from pre-pregnancy weight
Belly: It seems like this baby belly has gotten much bigger much faster this time around. I've been feeling at least two weeks bigger than I was at the same time last time. I'm loving having an itty bitty baby belly though!

Sleep: Desired all the time, but rarely achieved in sufficient quantity. I'm typically up at least every hour either with needing to make trip to the bathroom or caring for Tennyson. Most days, I try to get in at least a 30 minute nap. Napping depends on how well Tennyson naps and/or how much I need to get done around the house. I do my best though.

Symptoms: Strangely, I barely even feel pregnant. So far, the digestive issues and sickness that plagued me the entirety of my first pregnancy have yet to make their appearance (and hopefully they won't because that was rough). Other than being really tired, I'm feeling great.

Clothes: Still wearing my regular clothes. Some of the waistbands are getting a little tight though. I did pull out the smaller maternity tops (the one in the picture is one of them).

    I loaned most of my maternity clothes to a friend, and I'm still waiting to get them back. She's sending a few of her pieces as well. Hooray for a maternity clothes swap!!!!
 
Movement: I'd love to say that I've been exercising, but honestly I don't have the energy. Maybe soon though.

Food aversions: Meat and heavy meals. Pretty much anything that requires significant energy to consume. haha
 
Food cravings: Chocolate cake!!! With my first pregnancy, I craved salty and meaty foods. Sweets didn't really do much for me. This time around, I'm less about the salt and meat and more about the sweets. Currently, I'm obsessed with chocolate cake. I may have indulged in a chocolate cupcake or two. hehe. If the old wives tale is true (and it was for the first time!), we may have a little girl on the way!

What I miss: Energy. haha

 I also miss nursing Tennyson. As part of the plan for delaying preterm labor this pregnancy, I must wean Tennyson completely by 16 weeks (only about 5 weeks from now- eek!). He's been getting all of his milk from a cup for a while, and only comfort nurses before or during sleep. I've been surprised to learn how attached I am to those moments. I know I've got to start gradually moving away from nursing so much. If not, then week 16 is going to be here and an abrupt stop would be so much tougher on us both. I've got to remind myself that we've had a great breastfeeding experience, Tennyson is still getting what he needs (from a deep freezer full of stored breastmilk), and it won't be long before I get to share that experience again with baby 2.

What I'm excited about: I'm excited about another little one! I'm already so curious about him/her. I find myself noting characteristics or behaviors of Tennyson and wondering if his sibling is going to do the same things or be completely different. The most exciting part of having children is certainly coming to learn who they are and helping them grow. Can't wait to do it with two little ones!

    I'm also excited about the happy organization that has been taking place at our home. Having two children so young has prompted me to do a big clean out and get organized movement in our home. I know I'm not going to have the time or energy for a lot of unnecessary nonsense when I'm caring for them both each day. I love organization though and so I'm rather enjoying myself with all my little projects.

What I'm nervous about: Some days I'm a little nervous about tending to two children only 15 months a part in age. At these ages, all needs are expressed (loudly!) as demands. Some days the demands of one child plus other household responsibilities leave me so fatigued. I also wonder how I'll manage keeping the house in order and meals cooked. So much of my time and attention is directed towards one child presently that the house and meals go neglected a bit. Of course, adequate rest is also concerning. I'm running on so little that I fear it's unhealthy for a developing baby. *sigh* Despite it all, I'm sure I'll figure it all out once I'm there. I still don't feel like there is any concern greater than the value of a child. For this reason, I'll proceed with faith.

5 comments:

  1. Whitney, you look radiant! I hope that weaning Tennyson goes well. What a blessing it is that you have been able to nurse him for as long as you have. But, don't forget that you are weaning him now for a very important and special reason too. :-)

    I am not currently pregnant (at least I don't think so!), but I sometimes wonder how I would care for two young children if my husband and I were to find out that we were expecting again. I tend to think that every mother wonders that with each new addition to the family. Somehow it all works out. And, as Christian women, we have the Lord to lean upon. There will be tiring days for sure in this phase of life, but also immense joy. :-)

    I hope that you and your family are having a great weekend. Stay warm!

    ~~Sarah in GA~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I'm so grateful that I've been able to nurse Tennyson. It was a battle for sure, but one that we pressed on and succeeded at. (I discovered early on that NO ONE nurses a preemie because it can be such a long and difficult process. I stunned the local La Leche group with us doing so for so long. haha). I hope to be able to do so with the next baby, but am not sure we'd be able to commit and endure the process. Many days for several months were exclusively devoted to getting a good feed in, and that's not something that may not be possible with caring for two little ones. We'll see.

      I think you're right in saying that every mother wonders how to manage with each addition to the family. It's a tough job to figure out. I so wish we had more women in our society who would come along side mamas and help guide them in the role, especially as it changes. I, at least, haven't seen any such ideas or behaviors demonstrated. (But I am adamant on doing so for others!). I'm so grateful for blogs that give such practical wisdom for managing the home and family. (Large Families on Purpose is my absolute favorite!)

      We're enjoying an easy weekend so far. We've got lots of projects to finish, which is perfect for staying warm inside. Oh my, did it get freezing cold fast! Times like this I rather miss living in the South!

      Hope you and you're family have a wonderful weekend as well! Always good to chat- blogger style! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Whitney. I wish that I could have breastfed my son for as long as you have with your baby, but I only made it 6 weeks with my son. My body just wasn't cooperating with me and then I was having episodes of severe pain in my back/chest area. I later found out that the pain was from gallstones and I had to have my gallbladder removed slightly before my son turned 3 months old. If the Lord blesses my husband and I with another child, I will try to breastfeed again. But, if it doesn't work out, we'll just use the Earth's Best formula again. :-)

      It certainly has gotten cold quickly this year! I live in north Georgia, so we do get the cold temperatures, just not the extreme cold or the snow and ice like other places. If we're lucky, we get maybe one or two "snow/ice storms" that bring maybe 6 inches of snow a year. :-)

      Oh,and I like the Large Families on Purpose blog as well. I think you mentioned that one in a previous post and I checked it out at that point. I find her blog to be very encouraging.

      I hope you're having a great day.

      ~~Sarah in GA~~

      Delete
  2. Deja Vu! I feel like I was just reading your pregnancy updates, and now here they are again. This is so exciting I am so happy for you Whitney. This will definitely be a difficult, stressful, and demanding journey, but it will be so worth it (as you know!). I am so happy you are feeling better this time around. What a blessing when you already have a baby to care for. Looking forward to more updates! Oh, and I'm guessing it's a girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Yes, it wasn't that long ago that I was writing a different pregnancy journal. I'm so glad that I did that as I am now working on turning those memories and photos into a lovely photo book. So fun to go back through those entries as I approach the same marks a second time!

      I'm very, very grateful to be feeling much better this time. Hopefully, this pregnancy will continue to be as easy. (Feels so strange though compared to how sick I was the first time! haha).

      Handling the added responsibilities without a lot of stress and strain will likely be a learning process. We spent the entire day yesterday working on organization projects. It feel so much better to have increased functionality and efficiency in the home. Hopefully, this will be a big help when I need to care for both children.

      I totally think girl. I'll be very surprised if it's a boy (but delighted for him no less!). :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...