My husband is a talented cook. Whereas I cook entirely by recipes, he's able to cook based on concept and the sense. He created this delicious fall season meal for us one evening, and has allowed me to share the recipe here. Enjoy!
Butternut Squash Barley Risotto
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook Time: 35 mins.
3 c. butternut squash, diced
1/2 c. diced onion
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried crushed rosemary
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 1/4 c. barley
4 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
4 tbsp. butter
1 c. grated parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Saute squash and onion in oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until onion is soft.
2. Add thyme, rosemary, nutmeg and barley to pan. Stir until barley is coasted with oil and ingredients are well combined.
3. Add 1 c. broth, reduce heat to low and stir until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add another half cup and stir again until liquid has nearly absorbed. Repeat until all broth as been used. Test to see that barley is al dente.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Stir in walnuts and butter. Remove from heat.
6. Add the parmesan and stir until melted.