Thursday, October 30, 2014

Accentuate the Positive

     Life has been rather stressful lately. I've withheld from blogging much because I don't want to just spew negativity. That doesn't benefit anyone. Nonetheless, negativity and an overall sour disposition has been with me for a while.
 
     In an attempt to "turn that frown upside down" I'll share a few photos and other good things that have been happening as well. As the old song says, "accentuate the positive/ eliminate the negative/ latch on to the affirmative/ don't mess with Mr. In Between."
 
1) This little man is such a joy to greet in the mornings. He always wakes up so happy!

Oh, you know. Just chatting with my monkey friend. :)
 2) We took him to the park for the first time. He really enjoyed himself! We enjoyed watching him explore and take it all in. Can't wait to take him back in the spring!


3) He is growing up so fast! Sometimes I look at him and see a toddler instead of an infant. He had a Dr. appointment recently, and had a good report. He's made great progress in his growth and development! He's such an amazing little preemie man!

Oh, the mischief waiting to happen!

4) I've been working to finish up my pregnancy journal from when I was pregnant with Tennyson. I've really enjoyed getting to go back through all those pictures and posts. I set a goal to have it done by the time I start the next one which will be at 10 weeks (soon!).

     I've also been working on another photo book to be a family yearbook. Instead of printing (or in my case, not printing and then losing the photos on the computer) photos and storing them, I've decided to create photo books for each year. The books take up much, much less space (hooray!) and are more pleasant to look through. I'm so excited to see it come together!

 

5) I've been focused on "Operation Clean Out and Get Organized." I feel that it is important (and possible!) to not necessarily need a bigger space, but to better utilize the space we already have. I have a "To Sell" list and a "To Purchase" list. Now that Tennyson is getting more mobile and we'll have another child soon, I'm feeling the necessity for cleaning out things that aren't absolutely essential and getting what remains highly organized. Fortunately, minimalism and organization are two of my favorite things! I worked on our clothing today, and feel quite accomplished to have gotten everything to fit nicely in our small closet.


    Okay, so I am going to break into the negative side of life for just a moment. Contrary to that peppy song, sometimes you can't eliminate the negative. You have to confront it.

     My sister went for her first ob appointment today and discovered that she had lost the baby. She had been trying to conceive for a while, and finally did but now must endure greater loss. My heart is breaking. It's also trembling in fear of facing the same situation. She was only one week behind me in her pregnancy. My first ob appointment is next week. David and I have celebrated this little life from the beginning, but now I find myself cautious. I don't want to be. I want to be fully accepting. These moments hit you hardest when you can relate. My heart is just so heavy for her and myself.

     I'm reminded that there is no guarantee of conception and/or continuing to carry. Pregnancy and the child within are such incredible gifts. I don't take that for granted. For this reason, we've chosen to welcome the gift of children in our family. I don't fully understand the negative tone and question of "why" we would choose to have more children now. To me, conceiving and carrying a child is the ultimate display of beauty. I cherish it.

    I pray I might get to see this beauty flourish. I also pray she might get another chance to do the same.


4 comments:

  1. Hello Whitney. Tennyson is so precious! What a cutie! :-) I'm happy to hear that he is doing well.

    I am sorry to hear that your sister lost her baby. That must be devastating. I pray that she and her husband are turning to the Lord and receiving His comfort and peace.

    Also, I am praying that you and your little one will remain healthy and safe during pregnancy and delivery. I'm sorry to hear that some people are expressing negativity towards the new life that you are carrying. Try not to let these people steal your joy. I pray that they will develop a more Christ-like attitude and rejoice with you.

    I hope that you have a good evening.

    ~~Sarah in GA~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so hard to have that happen to your sister when you are also pregnant! I'm so sorry for your family's loss. It was hard not to worry when I was early on in my pregnancy because of how many people I know who have miscarried. It's hard not to let your mind go there. Ultimately I know that God has a reason for the life He gives us, even if it is given only for a time, and I try to trust Him and be at peace. Even at this stage of my pregnancy (18 weeks), I hear stories about people losing their babies for various reasons or preterm labor and I try to put those thoughts out of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your sister's loss. Having had two miscarriages myself, I know the heartbreak that comes with it. It is so difficult for people who don't have children or who have never experiences miscarriage to relate. That said, I bravely told everyone as soon as we found out we were pregnant with our 3rd pregnancy (which was our baby Victoria). I promised myself I wasn't going to let fear dim the excitement for each life, which is precious no matter if I get to hold him or her in my arm or now. Miscarriage is still heartbreaking, but I hope your sister will not be afraid to be joyful should God give her another pregnancy.

    That all said, I love the photos of your little guy! What a sweet face he has. He just looks like he is full of sunshine.

    I am definitely feeling out of space in our apartment right now. I spent the entire month of September purging, and I am still feeling like we definitely need more space. Hoping you'll share some of your tips and tricks for organizing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, I had tears welling up in my eyes this morning as I read all of your comments. How wonderful to have such sweet encouragement and fellowship! I'm blessed to have you following along here on this blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...